Saturday, May 03, 2008

which definition do you like best?

yesterday, before school:

anna: mom, what does gay mean?

me (completely caught off guard): well (drawn out for about 5 seconds), when i was a little girl it meant happy.

too bad i couldn't just leave it at that. so i proceeded to inform her of the modern day definition. we chatted a bit back and forth, mostly me chatting and her listening. at the end of the discussion:

me: so, what do you think?

anna: i think i like the first definition the best.

yeah, me too.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Seriously...wow. I don't think I even had to care what gay was until high school! At least she knows, from you.

Leeann said...

It's funny how words used to mean one thing...and now they mean another.
My MIL loves to catch me off guard with "thongs". Sorry, but it just will never mean shoes, to me! :)

Anonymous said...

I think I like the FIRST definition better, too! mom

katie said...

I like feeling gay....I mean happy.

Jenny said...

What a cute response. I have an Aunt named Gay. It was probably a really cute name when she was a little girl.

Mare said...

it's amazing how we have to figure out how to explain such things to our kids at such a young age. What a blessing though, that she got it from you, and not a distorted definition from another kid...

Unknown said...

I teach a story to my 8th graders that uses the word "queer". There are always giggles followed by a brief lesson in how some words change meanings over time.

I agree that it's far better for her to hear these things from you than from her little friends. When I was little, I had a friend who gave me a whole lot of misinformation about all sorts of things. It frightened me.