Tuesday, June 06, 2006

*note on effexor*

if you can avoid going on effexor...make it your last option. it was mine but still.

so, my last dose of effexor i thought was last thursday. i have been dragging this weaning-off since at least the beginning of april. over 8 freaking crazy sick weeks. my last week of the smallest possible dose of 37.5 mg went pretty well. i felt good. so, i felt good about my last dose. until saturday. at first, i got paranoid that i might be pregnant...but it was much worse that simple "morning" sickness. i think i would have rather gone through 9 months of my morning sickness than go through what i just went through the past 3 or 4 days. violently ill is an understatement. and the crazy thing is is that i wasn't depressed. just ill. metally i feel good--so far. my symptoms included:
  • nausea
  • vomiting...everything, even some organs i think
  • cold sweats
  • hot sweats
  • more vomiting
  • uncontrollable crying (i know it sounds normal for me but really the tears just came and came and came and came...for no reason)
  • more nausea
  • pain all over... so much that it would wake me when i did manage to close my eyes for a moment
  • crawling skin (it is such as creepy feeling--especially on my head, maybe i should have asked shawn to look for lice)
  • shocks throughout my body all the time
  • dizziness
  • dizziness even when i was laying down
  • constant anxiety
  • extreme fatigue
  • irrational thinking (paranoia shawn was going to leave me...maybe it wasn't paranoia, maybe he couldn't deal with me either)
  • confusion--i could not think straight and i could not hear at times. someone would say something to me and i knew they were but i could not register what they were saying--shawn repeated himself numerous times and sometimes i still didn't get it.
  • vivid dreams/nightmares--someone i know could not bury their dead dogs in the back yard because he said the mommy dog would dig them up and she would go crazy. so, he kept them in a bedroom in his basement in the corner of the room. the dogs were BIG dogs--BIG. and that is just part of one of my dreams
  • no energy but the desire to do and do but then i would just vomit
  • severe headaches--blinding headaches--nothing happened but i probably should not have driven to the doctor yesterday
  • did i mention vomiting?

so, needless to say i went back on yesterday. we are going to try going off slower. every other day for a week then we get more meticulous and try going by hours. example: monday at 8 am then wednesday at 12 pm then friday at 8 pm. and we try doing that for a week or so. i don't even know if i got that right. good thing i got shawn to help keep it all straight. i may even just end up staying on the last dose for a little longer. i don't know. anywho, don't feel sorry for me. i feel okay today. in fact after i took it yesterday at 4 pm i felt dramatically improved by about 8 pm. so, there's my story for the last few days.

and it is just my story. others are probably different. this is just my own experience. i went on effexor and i believe it saved my life. going off it is horrific. but if i had to i would go on it again. perhaps i would do things a bit different. but i love being alive and i love being happy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I could never feel sorry for you because you are my hero. I am constantly amazed and inspired at your persistent ability to get up every day and keep fighting. And at the same time you are raising two of the most beautiful children.
Now that I have been corny for a minute I feel like I should have Bette Midler sing for you: "Did you ever know that you're my hero, you're everything I wanted to be. I can fly higher than an eagle. You are the wind beneath my wings."
Or something to that effect. . . I hope you realized that is the part where you are supposed to laugh :)

Anonymous said...

You are a doll, Liz, and one of my heroes, too. I'm proud of you for taking care of yourself. I really hope you will write a book about your "uninvited guest" because you are an inspiration to those of us who know you.

I'm so sorry about all of the yucky side effects. I really hope they will subside sooner rather than later. If you want, I will come over and hold your hair back while you puke.

I heard on Prairie Home Companion a commercial for Xanax Salad Sprinkles. Maybe I could get you some...

Anonymous said...

wow lizzie. thanks for sharing. i know we don't know each other super well - but you're in my prayers (i hope you realize i mean that in an honest and true way ... not in the way some people say it just because they have nothing else to say). i guess i just want you to know that i care. and am inspired. thanks for being a fighter.

Anonymous said...

My name is Judith Haven and i would like to show you my personal experience with Effexor.

I am 37 years old. Have been on Effexor for at least 1 years now. As soon as I was on the beginning dose I could feel releave from my anxiety. My family life is so much better. My kids notice it. They applaud my for taking the side affects for a better live with them. No explosive episode any more.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Nightsweats, I have twitches if I forget a dose.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Judith Haven