Friday, October 17, 2008

i should be fired. but that's impossible, now, isn't it

so for being your typical, stay-at-home mormon wife and mom, i suck. i thought i wasn't very good at homemaking because i always had a kid around. boy was i wrong. mikey and anna are in school full-time now, that's 7:50am to 2:50pm--seven full hours of alone time, and my house is still always a mess. dinner is hardly cooked (although i have improved immensely on this one since moving to the middle of nowhere) and when it is cooked, it ain't that great. laundry seems to still always pile up. and for some reason i thought it would change after the kids started school. what's wrong with me? i need some inspiration! or some serious consequences. or maybe i should just come to terms with the fact that i am not that great at keeping house.

now, don't get me wrong. i am not depressed. i just wish i had little magic fairies to come and do my work so i could play or rather so i would not feel so guilty about playing. anyone know where i could find these little fairies?

in the meantime, i guess i will go do my dishes. so i can make something scrumptiously yummy for dinner. oh wait, it's friday. i don't think i cook on friday. and besides that, i cooked last night. so maybe i don't have to do my dishes now. wow. i feel great.

10 comments:

Barb said...

Maybe look on Martha Stewart.com for where you could find the little fairies. ;)

Mandy said...

Just so you know, you have nothing on me! And yes if I had seven hours of free time I would probably eat, sleep, or shop- basically anything that didn't have to do with house work! Fairies are very expensive but I think you can find them in the phone book, they wear yellow!

Leeann said...

LOL I am ALWAYS asking where the cleaning fairies are! Never at my house, that's for sure.

katie said...

You are on top of my list when I think of Domestic Goddess.
I say....you deserve to sit around and do nothing for awhile. You've been one busy chicka for 8+ years. Take some time off.

natalie spratling said...

I have 3 little fairies but they need to stay here in Montana, sorry Denver is just to far for me to part with them. I agree with Katie you need to cut yourself some slack and just enjoy this time for awhile...that is what I am doing and if someone is doing nothing with me I'll feel much better about doing absolutely NOTHING.

Anonymous said...

there is a certain house here in the valley that might just be that inspiration you need. I can arrange a tour for you IF you'd like! mom (NO it's NOT mine!)

michele said...

liz, i was thinking that having kids at home was my problem too, but i think it's just me. i'll probably be fired soon. if you need to feel better about yourself you can always come on over to my house.

Mare said...

Guess I should have read your blog before I called you to go to the park and we decided to play games at your house and you had to make dinner for us on Friday huh? By the way, your house looked just fine - and the dinner was delish. Anyways - who will remember a spotless house? You kids would much rather have a fun and happy mom who takes them to the park on a beautiful fall day and stuff like that.

amber said...

Hey Liz! It's been forever! I agree with everyone! Take a little break and create memories, not a museum.

Also, try cooking several dinners at once! It doesn't take that much more time and you only have to clean up the dishes once! (It's a good thing my kids are self serving, otherwise on occasion, they might have already starved to death!)

Tiffany said...

I had the same thoughts when I started working from home. Hmmmm, nada.

Let's go on a magic fairy hunt, shall we?