Tuesday, November 04, 2008

food storage? what?

we were given the challenge at church on sunday to live solely on our food storage. what? we are to pretend that a big snow storm has cut off all access into the eagle and gypsum area, which could really probably happen (not the best sentence, i know). well, okay...




got any suggestions?

and if you think we have plenty of pepsi, think again. this has to last shawn TWO weeks. and we cheated and bought milk.

actually, i think we will survive two weeks pretty okay. i have been working on food storage little bit by little bit. i bought milk simply because we don't even have powdered milk--which is on my list now.

and cold cereal needs a stocking-up. mikey told me he is getting bored of stuff we have. okay.

and seeing as how anna has strep throat, i have learned that i need to stock up on over-the-counter meds. i have gone to the store to get motrin (the bishop said we should not go to any extremes with this challenge).

and i am hoping our toilet paper lasts--i am limiting everyone to four squares per number one and eiaght squares per number two. and if you come visit this week or next, bring your own tp or go before you come or hold it.

that's all for now. i wil maybe keep you updated.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I have a couple of apples and a half a loaf of bread in my fridge with a few condiments. . . I would die.

Mare said...

We have TP. We'd be happy to share or trade (ew...that sounds kind of gross huh?) I'm sure you knew what I meant. Good thing you did all that canning!

Tiffany said...

Count me among the dead.

katie said...

Is that a box of donuts in your fruit drawer?

lizzie said...

no. that is the mega costco block of cream cheese.

Annie said...

we have the same challenge, but, they said NOTHING about eating out. apollo burger, here we come!!! we would be ok, it wouldn't be fun, but we would be ok. good luck!

Jenny said...

Powdered milk is so disgusting. Hope and pray that you never really have to drink it.

Leeann said...

I've thought about doing this. Just to see if we could.
I have like 4 cases of varying beans (among everything else). Should have stocked up on air freshener, too.

mickey said...

we just bought a costco slew of tp, i'll mail you some if you get really desperate, four squares??? honestly, i wouldn't survive.

do you want to know my mom's suggestion...someone she knew had the same challenge and they got out their patterns, YES patterns and cut them into squares and away they went...honestly.

if it were a real emergency okay maybe but a mock emergency. at least you have a good stockpile of usable tp if you're willing to give it up the patterns... i bet they flush nicely.

amber said...

We didn't have TP in the Philippines. Honestly. The new missionaries would use the church news...after awhile they got use to what everyone else did...I'll give you a hint. It involved a ladle. (at least where I was)

You could always make honey puffs with all your eggs! YUMMY!

Unknown said...

You gotta get some freeze dried food to put in your storage!! Long term shelf like AND tastes good and easy to incorporate into everyday cooking. I personally love www.shelfreliance.com and their Thrive line of foods....

Mandy said...

You know they have shelf life boxed milk. I had to drink it on my mission- it really isn't too awful if you let it get really really cold first- just for future refrence.
Anna has strep- i'm so sorry!

Unknown said...

We could do it, but we would be eating pickles and macaroni every night.

natalie spratling said...

love the challenge. good luck.

Anonymous said...

ok..fess up..did you clean your frigdge before you too these picutres? i am sooo glad the 2 weeks will be done by thanksgiving!
you know, you'll have to speak now in church after the 2 weeks..to tell everyone how you made out! good luck, i will pray for you! moom

Hannah said...

Hi-
I found your blog when I was googling food storage.

If you ever want any food storage tips or recipes that use only food storage food, feel free to check out our blog! I realize this is a little late coming, since you have to eat from the food you already have, :) but you will probably find some recipes on our site that you could use... I hope! Anyway, good luck with the challenge! I'd also LOVE to hear from you at the end of the 2 weeks to hear how it went. Email us, if you want!

Good luck!
Hannah @
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/

Mari said...

Thanks for the reminder. I'mgoing to go pull out my 72 hour kits and 'update' them.
My mom saves all newspapers and junk mail just in case there isn't tp. Also, she saves her dryer lint in case she needs it to start a fire. She's full of all kinds of ideas...just ask. (kidding)

Jeanna said...

If anything were to happen I have 2 options 1 track down my mom<: and 2 beau said he'd go rambo think realistic right!!!?