Friday, February 09, 2007

supernanny bedtime

for years, anna has had a problem going to bed. it has made me crazy. we tried everything. and it didn't work.
a couple of weeks ago, while shawn was trying to get her to sleep, i was watching supernanny. and she taught the mother of 3 and 4 year olds a bedtime routine. i was tired of laying with anna until she fell asleep (hours, sometimes). supernanny's routine is good. but then at the end of it all you give them a hug and kiss and night-night. on the show she had the mom sit by the door and whenever the kids got out of bed the mom would get up and put them back in bed--without looking at them or talking to them.
i decided anna needed this. so i did it the next night. i sat at the bottom of the stairs and did it. after 35 minutes of kicking and screaming (my favorite scream--"mom talk to me! you are freakin' me out! you are really freakin' me out!) and trying every excuse, she fell asleep. i did it the next night and the next. by the third night i was down to 7 minutes! i taught shawn and he does it. it is wonderful. shawn and i can now have some peace and quiet at night. she usually goes down now between 8 and 8:30--before it was 10 or later. it is wonderful.--oh, i already said that. but it is.

p.s. the other night we were having sunday dinner at my mom's. katie and family were there (katie is my sister with 4 kids). anyway, it was announced it was time to go home and go to bed. katie told me that anna was by her. and anna asked her "do you sit at the bottom of your stairs and chase erin and jenna back to their beds when they get out?"
i don't recall chasing but i suppose that word could be used.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is great, Liz! I so understand having a little night owl. Great advice!

But I have to know--when you tell her goodnight, do you do it in a British accent???

mickey said...

Yeah for the Midvale Super Mommy! You didn't tell me you were trying out to be the next Super Nanny, I'll put in a good word for you. I so belive you deserve it. Way to go Liz and Shawn, maybe he could be the first Super Daddy-Nanny.

Unknown said...

I like that Anna told you that you were freaking her out!