Monday, May 15, 2006

for mother's day

i wasn't going to write about mother's day for reasons i care not to discuss. so, here are the reasons i love being a mom:

  • i can sleep late (well, i could when anna wasn't in school)
  • i can make mac & cheese and the kids love my cooking
  • i can buy toys for myself disguising them as toys for the kids
  • i always feel wanted (whether i want to be wanted or not)
  • i get to tell them what to do (not that they will always do it)
  • they think i am pretty and tell me so
  • they love my singing and sing with me
  • the kids love to hug and snuggle and so do i
  • the kids are soooo forgiving
  • i get to see things from a different perspective
  • they make me smile and laugh
  • they are mine. i am their only mother. they belong to me and they love me.

now, there are many other reasons i love being a mom but right now they seem to have escaped me (see previous post). i am really trying to focus on the positive. our cute relief society president said a few weeks ago that we as women and especially as moms seem to always compare ourselves with other women. she made this great point of when we compare ourselves with others we compare our worst self with their best self. and when we do that we always come out on the losing end. i am going to be kinder to myself. i need it. and my family needs it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Whenever you are tempted to compare yourself in a negative way to someone else, take a look at your quilts, or scrapbooks, or curtains or dresses or cards or any one of the hundreds of creative things you make with ease. You will always come out on top in the creativity department (just to name one of your amazing qualities)- especially when you compare yourself with me!

Anonymous said...

i love your list and i love your singing, too. that was good advice about comparing to others. it never helps anything. i'm going to write it down and tape it to my forehead. who is the rs president these days?

lizzie said...

sue burgon--she is amazing. i really like her and she always makes me feel better about myself. i love when she teaches.

Anonymous said...

i love sue burgon, too. i also agree with everything alyssa said. you are one of the most talented people i know. you are truly a gifted artist.